Storms happen and in some regions, they can cause extensive damage to homes, trees, and entire communities and require immediate storm damage roofing repairs.
After all, the roof tends to be the area on a house that takes the brunt of a storm’s power and suffers most of the damage.
Though damage might not be immediately obvious, storm damage roofers recommend that homeowners look for specific signs that their roofing system has been damaged.
When noticing any of these symptoms, appropriate storm damage roofing repairs should be made rather than just leaving things as they are.
- Cracked, Loose, or Missing Shingles - Asphalt, wood, or other types of shingles can easily become damaged by wind, heavy rain, hail, and flying debris. If any are chipped, cracked, otherwise broken, have blown off, or been bent back, storm damage roofer repairs are necessary to protect the roofing system before the next rain. Whether the damage affects one shingle or many, repairs should be made as soon as possible.
- Granule Loss - Heavy rains and hail can wear off the protective granule coating on asphalt shingles, making them more susceptible to UV and other damage. Granules collecting in the gutters or on the ground near the house or bald spots appearing on the shingles are all signs that the coating is wearing off. If widespread, storm damage roofers might recommend a roof replacement, as these granules are essential to the longevity of the whole installation.
- Damage to Flashing, Soffit, Fascia, or Gutters - When any of these components end up loose or missing after a storm, that is an immediate call for storm damage roofer repairs, as each of these elements protects different areas of the roofing system. Ignoring this damage leaves the roof susceptible to water damage in the future.
- Debris On the Roof - Tree limbs and other debris on the roof could be hiding damage such as broken shingles or something more significant like a penetration through the top of the house that would need storm damage roofing repairs.
- New Leaks Inside - Always check inside the attic for signs of new leaks. Damage that might not be visible on the outside can sometimes be easily detected on the inside if water or water stains are found. A skilled storm damage roofer can locate the origination of those leaks and make necessary repairs.
- Crooked Chimneys - When the flashing and seals around a chimney leak or fall off, that can lead to water damage that, over time, results in the chimney shifting.
Mother nature and her storms cannot be stopped.
The best thing any homeowner can do once the storms have passed is to inspect their house for damage, paying particular attention to their roof.
These common signs of storm-related problems suggest that it is time for storm damage roofer repairs to get the roof back in its original condition.